GUIDELINES FOR THE FIRST MENTOR/MENTEE SESSION
You do not need to read this document to your student, however, do cover these points in a conversational manner during your first mentoring session.
- The bulk of this first meeting should be spent getting to know one another, at an appropriate first meeting level. Don’t expect too much and remember that they might be nervous too!
- Ask some general and open ended questions about them self and share some appropriate information about yourself
- Examples: Current profession; hobbies/interests; family; why you chose to become a mentor
- Explain bow the YMI mentoring process will work
- Example: Mentoring session day(s), time (s), length and location of meetings; Weekly Discussion Starters (i.e. the focus/question of the week)
- Explain to your mentee that you will respect their privacy and won’t be sharing information from your discussions with anyone else
- However, please explain that because you care about their well being, you would need to inform someone else if you discovered that he/she was in danger for any reason
- Ask if your mentee understands the process and if they have any questions/concerns.
- Possibly SAVE for Week 2 Getting Started Conversation: Follow up and review the goals that your mentee selected in the student application.
- Give your mentee your contact information (cell, email, business card) and confirm their contact information (personal, parent’s) as listed on your “Mentor Info Sheet”.
- You may enjoy using an Ice Breaker type of question to start or keep a conversation, feel free to use the 80 Questions handout
80 Questions That Mentors Can ask Their Mentees
- Tell me the 5 best things about you?
- If you could have the following superpower, which one would you pick?
The ability to fly Super Strength Could turn invisible
- If you were trapped on a deserted island and could pick on famous person to be with, who would it be?
- If you could tell your parents to never serve two vegetables again, which would you choose?
- Who do you think your mother would prefer you to become: An NBA ballplayer, the mayor, a famous explorer, or a movie star? Why? Which would you prefer?
- Which of your friends do you like the most? Why?
- If a genie could grant you any 3 wishes, what would they be?
- What profession do you want to be when you’re older?
- Who was the best teacher you ever had? Tell me why?
10.What would the ideal teacher be like?
- What college would you like to attend?
12.How much privacy would you like? What time of the day would like to be alone, and why?
13.If you are feelings sad, what meal would be the one that would cheer you up? 14.Do you believe men and women are equally smart? Why or why not?
15.Do you ever have a dream that comes back over and over? If so, what is it like?
16.1s there anything you pretend you understand, but you really don’t? What is it?
17.Which of the following choices do you think would be best, and why?
Dinner with everyone at the table and the TV with your favorite program.
Dinner in which everybody took what they wanted from the fridge and no one had the same thing.
Dinner with the whole family together and no TV on.
18.If a genie would give you only one wish, which would you pick, and why?
Being world-class attractive Being a genius Being famous for doing something great
- Are you afraid to fly?
- Tell me who you think are the 3 greatest musicians in the world? Why?
21.1f you could change 3 things about yourself, what would they be?
22.If you could keep your room anyway you wanted, how would it look?
23.What kinds of lies do your friends tell their parents?
24.If you had to have a disability, which one of these would you pick, and why?
Blindness Deafness Inability to work
- What are the qualities that make a good friend?
- What was your favorite toy when you were little?
27.What do you say to comfort yourself when something scares you (like when a plane is bumpy, or when yob are in a scary place?)
- If you paid your bill at a restaurant and the waiter gave you too much change, would you tell him/her?
29.What do you think are the characteristics that make a good teacher?
30 Name the 3 movie stars you most admire.
- Have you ever imitated something you saw in a movie? What was it?
- Name a TV or movie star that you think is lame.
- Do you think it’s important to get physical education in school? Why or why not?
34.What is the most enjoyable thing your family has done together in the last three years? 35.What do you think is beyond the stars?
- What is the nicest thing a friend has ever done for you?
- Why do you, or don’t you, like violent movies?
- Name 2 things we should do for a fun activity?
- Does the typical kid play video games too much?
40.What sport (that you haven’t tried) do you think you would be good at? Why?
- If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?
- Do you believe in heaven? If not, why? If so, what do you think it’s like?
- If you were going to have a weird, unusual pet, what would it be? Why would you want that pet?
44.If you could look like anyone, who would it be? Why?
45.Do you think “honesty is the best policy”? Why or why not?
46.What have you done, in school or sports or anywhere that you are most proud of?
- Do you think girls look better with or without makeup? why?
48.Do you think it’s bad, okay, or good for guys to cry at movies? why?
- Which of your friends are you most proud? why?
- Have you ever had a dream that really scared you? What was it about?
- Can you describe the most beautiful place you have ever visited?
52.What kinds of things on TV and in movies make you laugh?
53.Tell me about your two favorite movies of all time and why you like them so much.
54.How do you describe me to your friends?
- Do you feel you are as intelligent as most of your friends? Why or why not?
- What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen? why?
- Have you ever gotten really lost? If so, tell me about it. How did you feel?
58.How much TV a day do you think a kid should watch?
59.At what age, if any, do you think a kid should be able to watch any program on TV?
60.Tell me what you think is good, or bad, about rap music.
61.What is the most gross thing you can think of?
62.What’s your most embarrassing moment?
63.1s there anybody in history that you have read about that you would like to be?
64.Tell me 3 things you remember about kindergarten?
65.What do you think is the right age for marriage? Why?
- What kids are popular in your grade? What do you think makes a person popular?
67.What’s the best thing you do?
- If you knew a friend of yours had stolen something, what would you do about it?
- If you were on a basketball team… would you rather score 50 points and lose, or score 10 points and win?
- What are the first 3 things you would do if you were elected President?
- If you could trade lives with somebody you know, who would it be?
72, How do you think you would feel if you thought you were going to be the first person to meet someone from outer space? What would you say or ask?
73.What would you do if you were invisible for a day?
74.If you won $1 million in a lottery, what would you do with the money?
75.What is the nicest thing you’ve ever done for another person, group, or animal?
76.If you could give $1 million to a particular charity, which would you pick?
77.If you could be a cast member on any TV show, which would you pick?
- Who do you think you are most like in your family? Why?
79.Who is the funniest relative in your family? Why?
80.Ice cream sundae or banana split? If split, what 3 flavors would you choose?